I was planning to start a student club at UoA for ecologists and people wanting to participate in conservation.
Basically the cunning plan is:
* Get as many like minded fun people to join and meet semi-regularly
* Get the undergrads and postgrads to socialise more
* Organise training on practical ecological tasks such as mist netting, banding, bird song ID, bird/lizard/invert surveying, plant propagation etc.
* Organise a volunteer network so that the poor postgrads have minions to help them with their projects and the undergrads gain experience.
* Build relationships with external organisations ie DOC, Arc, Auckland Zoo.
* Go out regularly as a group and help community groups with the basic restoration work and hopefully some of the more skilled jobs
* Have debauched insane times in nature.
What do you guys think?
Does anyone want a seat of power such as Treasurer or Secretary?
Does anyone have any great ideas?